This week’s instalment of my on-line tarot deck is the four Threes: Wands, Cups, Swords, Coins. This week also sees a behind-the-scenes change to the way I convert the simple images in to the complete cards. Up until now I edited the fancy image file by hand in a text editor using cut & paste. Now I have a Tcl script that does this step automatically. The idea is that I spend more of my time drawing and less of it fiddling with the SVG code!
This week, just in time for St Valentine’s Day, my on-going tarot deck project reaches VI. The Lovers and VII. The Chariot. The main innovation this week (don’t get too excited...) is I have added a definition for the letter ‘v’ to the font used for the card titles.
In my SVG tarot deck, I could not
decide between drawing the pips cards plain or with pictures
on, so I added a button to toggle the picture on and off.
People using Adobe’s SVG plug-in version 2 have reported
getElementById. I did not want
to start getting in to an endless struggle to remain compatible
with what is after all an obsolete browser (version 3 is
available gratis from Adobe); I have enough compatibility
nightmares with HTML on Netscape Navigator 4. But it
occurred to me to try to instead use SVG’s built-in
all. I hope that I can thereby avoid causing trouble
on older SVG viewers, since they presumably will simply ignore
the animation elements.
An addendum to my rant about Webclasses considered harmful: Alternative web-application platforms (which I have not used yet): Cocoon 2: XML + XSLT + Java, with strong separation of logic, content, and presentation; ZOPE: object-oriented web platform, programmed in Python or Perl.
What with visiting friends and misecllaneous babies in London (not to mention the V&A, the illuminated float at the British Museum, and the newly-opened Millenium Bridge), I almost neglected to draw this week’s installment of my ongoing virtual tarot-deck project, which is two more of the trumps: VIII. Justice and VIIII. The Hermit.