I created the new Percy Street graphic last night. Since I keep the info
about what graphics files go in which pages in an XML file, it is easy
to do this using XSLT—this is how the HTML pages are generated as
well. When there is a new last page, the link graphic will be updated automagically.
I spent some time trying to use
animateColor to animate the
highlight when you move the mouse over the links, but in the end there
were always problems with the animation being restarted and stuff so I
settled for the simpler option,
I discovered to my suprise that the
a (link anchor) elements, used to
make links in the same way
a elements work in HTML, interpret partial
URI references relative to the hosting HTML page, not relative to the
SVG file. This matters because the SVG file is actually in
../../2005/percy/teaser.svg and is embeded in a page
I had expected that a link to
percy-23.html to navigate to
../../2005/percy/percy-23.html; instead it went to
which does not exist. This is inconsistent with the treatment of
elements, for which URI references are interpreted relative to the SVG
file (just as well, since otherwise most SVGs would lose their images).
After poking about in the
the SVG 1.1 specification, I see it cites XMLBase, which I
think would mean that links out of an SVG document are interpreted
relative to the document's URL. Something for the clever programmers
working on Adobe SVG Viewer to worry about for version 6.
Update (10 Dec. 2005). Percy Street is now drawn under the pseudonym Leckford. See Leckford's LiveJournal for updates.