5 entries tagged
I’ve been envying my friends with all their
Livejournal sites (such as
and other web logs (such as
Given that I already have to struggle to keep my work log up to
date, I don’t think I’m up to keeping a journal of my
own, but I did want to ape the layout for my own pages.
In particular, I have gone from a vaguely chronological list of
stuff to a strictly chronological order of short paragraphs, with
pointers to longer articles or photo albums.
This style allows for me to add short notes on whatever takes my
fancy without special effort as well.
I also have
permanent links for each entry (the # links next to the date).
Given the snail-like pace of progress in my area of my site, my
archives are annual rather than monthly...
This is all cobbled together in a semi-automated fashion
quite as mechanized as a proper weblog, but
simpler to implement. Entries are kept in spearate disc files on
my home PC, and assembled in to the HTML pages automatically.
Now the display of entries is sorted out
I plan to partially automate the
creation of new entries.
I have now converted the photo albums
Castle, and Bologna) on my old site
to go on
the new site (
http://www.alleged.org.uk/). In the process I have ripped out the old
HTMLgen code that generated them and replaced it with the more
streamlined TclHTML equivalent (using the code I concocted
when building the photo albums on the
CAPTION site). As a result,
the last vestiges of the old Alleged look and feel
(with the tabbed-notebook style) is gone! I guess it must
be time for a redesign, then...
Jeremy’s The Weekly Strip
went on something of a hiatus after her trip to Amsterdam over
Easter. To celebrate its return I have
belatedly moved the TWS files across from the old Alleged
Literature web site to
alleged.org.uk. In the
process I rearranged the directory structure (or URL
design, to use TBL’s phrase) to be more
consistent—something that required fiddly changes to some 300 or so
links in more than 50 files. Luckily all the files are
generated automatically so all I actually had to do was
tweak three Tcl procedures and TclHTML handled the
My website is maintained by a rather complex amalgamation of software,
accreted over generations. Having migrated it from my old desktop
lickity to my new(ish) PowerBook Ariel, I now want to migrate it
again to my new server Tranq (a Tranquil PC T2); this will allow me to use
cron to keep
some parts up-to-date automatically.
I have redesigned the Alleged Literature front page. This isn't
just a visual change, though: I have changed the way I generate the HTML
so that I am using Kid templating rather than TclHTML. So
here's a brief introduction to using Kid to maintain static HTML pages.