Let’s Try Gunicorn Instead

I have switched to Gunicorn since my attempts to make uWSGI multilingual have failed disastrously.

Part 3 of the Running to Stand Still series.

Background

WSGI is the protocol used to plug web applications written in the Python programming language in to production web servers such as NGINX. Generally they themselves behave as web servers, receiving requests as HTTP and calling a Python callable supplied by your web framework. Some use a protocol such as FastCGI or uwsgi that is less flexible but hopefully faster to parse than HTTP and are connected to via an appropriate plugin in the main server.

uWSGI

I have a single Linix server running several little web sites. I use NGINX as the web server. It handles static files, and delegates to uWSGI for the Python apps, described in this entry form 2012. It turns out that my uWSGI server is bound inextricably to Python 2. Since I will need to port my apps to newer Django versions and hence to Python 3, I need an alternative solution.

I tried upgrading uWSGI to a version with pluggable language versions. Unfortunately this failed—the NGINX log just says the connection is broken. This resulted in all the other sites I host being broken as well as my blog. Rather than going deeper in to the rabbit-hole of debugging uWSGI I rolled back to the old version and old configuration so as to get my older sites working again.

Now I needed a Python-3-supporting solution to run alongside it.

Gunicorn

Gunicorn is another WSGI server. It is the one recommended by Heroku, who know a thing or two about hosting Django apps, so I decided I would see if I could get it to serve my very simple Django-based blog.

Installing

So far as I can tell the convention is to run a separate Gunicorn per site, rather than have a multiplexer like the uWSGI Emperor. That’s fine by me.

Rather than using the system package for Gunicorn (which is likely to be out of date since I am using an oldish Ubuntu LTS distribution), I installed it direct in the virutalenv of the site. Since the virtualenv is named after the site, you run Gunicorn as /home/alleged/virtualenvs/alleged/bin/gunicorn. This obviates the issue which started all this, which was a mismatch between Python versions.

Testing

Since Gunicorn uses HTTP rather than a custom protocol, you can test it with a conventional web-downloading command like wget. Something along the following lines runs the sever:

gunicorn --chdir Sites/alleged --bind 127.0.0.1:8001 alleged.wsgi

I could then test it with wget http://localhost:8001/pdc/.

I discovered I had been running with the wrong ALLOWED_HOSTS setting all these years: it needs to list just the host name localhost, not host+port localhost:8001. Whoops. This hadn’t been a problem before because it is ignored in debug mode (so was not a problem during development) and the real site has Host set to alleged.org.uk.

Deployment

I use D. J. Bernstein’s daemontools package to run my servers. I like it because it is so simple: you set up a directory with a script that runs the server and the supervise daemon takes care of running and monitoring it.

The script looks something like this:

#!/bin/sh

exec 2>&1
echo Starting $SITE-gunicorn

SITE=alleged
SITE_HOME=/home/$SITE

exec envdir env \
    $SITE_HOME/virtualenvs/$SITE/bin/gunicorn \
        --name $SITE-gunicorn \
        --pid /var/run/gunicorn/$SITE.pid \
        --user $SITE \
        --group gunicorn \
        --chdir $SITE_HOME/Sites/$SITE \
        --bind 127.0.0.1:8001 \
        --access-logfile /var/log/gunicorn/$SITE-access.log \
        --error-logfile /var/log/gunicorn/$SITE-error.log \
        --reload \
        $SITE.wsgi

The environment of the process is controlled by a directory /service/alleged/env (one file per environment variable).

At this point I could check the server was running with wget http://localhost:8001 as before. All good!

The last step was plumbing it in to NGINX. This was just a case of replacing the URL in the proxy_pass directive in alleged.conf as follows:

location @django {
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;
    proxy_set_header Host $http_host;
    proxy_redirect off;
    proxy_pass http://localhost:8001;
}

And then after nginx -s reload, lo! my website was restored after many days of being a broken 502 page.

Finally I am back to square one, and ready to update my site …